By Mark Allen
ICYMI: Reuters reported “High-security locks for government and banks hacked by researcher” on August 6, 2019. Here’s an excerpt of the findings:
Hackers could crack open high-security electronic locks by monitoring their power, allowing thieves to steal cash in automated teller machines, narcotics in pharmacies and government secrets, according to research to be presented Friday at the annual Def Con hacking conference in Las Vegas. Mike Davis, a researcher with security firm IOActive, discovered the vulnerability last year and alerted government officials and Swiss company DormaKaba Holding, the distributor of multiple brands of locks at issue. In an interview with Reuters, Davis said he used an oscilloscope worth about $5,000 to detect small changes in the power consumption, through what is known as a side-channel attack. The method worked best in older models.
While the findings are enough to cause panic, the solution to increasing security couldn’t be quicker, easier, or more affordable.
Identiv’s locking system integrations deliver high-security physical access control, wirelessly. Both our Aperio Wireless Lock Integration with Hirsch Velocity and Schlage Wireless Lock Integration with Hirsch Velocity offer the most advanced features right at your fingertips:
- Secure more doors with less wiring
- Easy installation without interruption to daily operations
- Flexibility for growing schools, university campuses, healthcare facilities, and other high-traffic businesses
- Add physical access control to historical buildings and facilities with building materials not suitable for standard wiring
- Real-time door status monitoring with alarm viewer, status viewer, and reports
- Real-time Hirsch Velocity communication for greater control of schedules, stronger security during holidays, and improved traffic management based on threat levels
- Battery status and charge monitored to simplify maintenance
Our family of award-winning, scalable, open-architecture Hirsch Controllers can power and protect a single door to hundreds. Paired with our Hirsch Velocity Software security management system, you can manage access control and security operations in thousands of different facilities, from single high secure rooms to multi-building, multi-location campuses, with the most stringent security compliance.
For almost 40 years, Hirsch has proven time and time again that it IS possible to install a system once and rarely visit it again. There’s a reason the Hirsch name is synonymous with reliability.